May 12, 2018 • 8:00am – 4:00pm
at World Bird Sanctuary • Admission is FREE!
In 2017, International Migratory Bird Day celebrates the importance of these habitats and encourages everyone to get involved in protecting these areas. Your own backyard may serve as a stopover site, especially if it provides the food, water, and shelter birds need, along with a haven that is safe from threats, such as free-roaming cats and pane glass. Join us this year as we Help Birds Along the Way!
It can be a long journey between non-breeding sites across the Americas and the Caribbean to nesting sites in the United States and Canada. Annually, for example a Bobolink can travel as many as 12,500 miles roundtrip (20,000 kilometers) between grasslands and rice fields as far south as Argentina to breeding areas in northern United States and Canada. Along the way, birds may need to rest and refuel, and the health and safety of these sites is critical to the survival of migratory birds.
- 8:00am-12:00pm: Migration Blitz- Watch live bird banders with the chance to release one yourself!
- 9:00am: Keeper Chat
- 9:00am-11:00am: Bird Identification Hike
- 10:00am, 12:00pm and 2:00pm: Migration Sensation Show in amphitheater
- 11:15am and 1:15am: Hospital Tour
- We’ll also have vendors, crafts and games!
- WBS Events
- Amazing Animal Encounters
- Avian Training Workshop
- Bird Banding Demo Days
- Birdies for Birds Golf Tournament
- Camera Day
- Christmas with the Birds
- Eagle Days
- Fete du Feather
- International Migratory Bird Day
- Keeper Chats
- National Trails Day
- Open House
- Owl Prowls
- Sail to Alaska
- Story Time with Bob
- Vulture Awareness Day
- Wilderness First Aid
- World Eagle Day
- Planning an Event