Interns will experience all aspects of World Bird Sanctuary by assisting staff with:
- Captive management of resident birds and other animals
- Daily husbandry duties
- Maintenance of facilities
- Rehabilitation of injured birds
- Public education programs through the Office of Wildlife Learning
- Interact with the public at the Visitor’s Center
- Field identification of birds & documentation of behaviors
- Minimum of 18 years old
- Must be capable of rigorous outdoor work in all types of weather conditions
- Transportation is highly recommended
- College degree or working toward a degree is recommended, but not required
- Furnished housing (coed) and utilities will be provided.
- All interns will complete a special project during the internship.
- World Bird Sanctuary internships may count toward possible credit at many colleges or universities. (consult with your advisor or registrar to find out if you can receive credit)
Seasonal Application DeadlinesThe World Bird Sanctuary internship program is available year round. Even if you missed a deadline, we urge you to apply as there may still be availability due to cancellations.
- Summer (May-August): February 15
- Fall (August - November): June 1
- Winter (January - April): November 15
- Spring (February - May): January 1
How to Apply1. Complete the Online Internship Application. Include your resume, a cover letter stating your career goals and how this internship will help you achieve those goals, and 3 letters of reference.
2. The World Bird Sanctuary Internship Coordinator will review the applications. Approved internships will be notified via email or phone. Incomplete applications will not be considered, and completion of an application does not guarantee an internship position will be offered.