Would you like to join our flock? World Bird Sanctuary is looking for interns! Our 12 week internship program prepares aspiring animal caretakers for a career in the animal world. As a WBS intern, you will gain valuable hands-on experience with animal husbandry, behavior training, enclosure maintenance, records keeping, wildlife rehabilitation, and educational programming and outreach. During your internship, you will have the opportunity to work alongside, and receive continuous training and feedback from our experienced staff members in each part of the sanctuary. It is our goal to provide you with the knowledge and experience necessary to help you land your first job in this competitive field!
● Must be able to work indoors and outdoors in all weather conditions. World Bird Sanctuary is
open to the public 363 days out of the year; therefore, all positions require employees and
interns to work some weekends, holidays, and evenings.
● Must be able to do work such as lifting, bending, stooping, and carrying heavy objects.
● Must be comfortable learning food preparation for carnivorous animals.
● Must be 18 years of age or older
● College degree or working towards is preferred, but not required
● Personal transportation is recommended, but not required
● Ability to work in a fast paced environment
● Positive attitude and strong work ethic
● An interest in birds!
Compensation and Hours
● Internships are unpaid
● Onsite housing is available for out of town interns
● Interns typically work 40 hours a week
● Internships are 12 weeks long
● We are happy to work with interns to receive college credit for their internship with World Bird Sanctuary
Seasonal Application Deadlines
The World Bird Sanctuary internship program is available year round.
● Fall Term (September – December): July 1
● Spring Term (January – April): November 1
● Summer Term (May-August): March 1
How to Apply
1. Fill out the online application here, include a cover letter stating your career goals and how this internship will help you achieve those goals, and 1 letter of reference to
2. The World Bird Sanctuary Internship Coordinator will review the applications.
Approved internships will be notified via email or phone. Incomplete applications will not be considered, and completion of an application does not guarantee an internship position will be offered.
World Bird Sanctuary offers an internship for those specifically interested in the rehabilitation aspect of our mission. Our Rehabilitation Internship is open for anyone to apply for, but is tailored specifically toward training those who are pursuing a career in wildlife rehabilitation or medicine and preference will be given to those applicants. The Rehabilitation Internship is a 6 month, 40+ hour/week commitment and includes free onsite housing and a monthly living stipend. Rotating start months are available throughout the year. Applications are due 2 months prior to the desired start date.
The internship is designed to train the applicant and give hands on experience in all aspects of raptor
rehabilitation from husbandry to assisting with surgery. Skills taught include but are not limited to:
● Diet Prep
● Enclosure Cleaning
● Hospital Maintenance
● Raptor Catching & Restraint
● Tube Feeding
● Hand Feeding
● Multiple Routes of Medicating
● Administering Fluids
● Running Basic Bloodwork
● Making and Reading Fecal Slides
● Drawing Blood
● Physical Therapy
● Wound Cleaning
● Bandaging & Fracture Management
● Examining New Patients
● Taking & Reading Radiographs
● Assisting with Surgical Procedures
● In addition to hands on experience, interns will have the opportunity to participate in article discussions and attend presentations from our staff veterinarian. If interested, the intern will also have the opportunity to learn avian handling and training techniques from our naturalist staff.
○ Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
○ Must be able to work long hours on feet and be capable of bending, lifting, and
carrying heavy objects.
○ Must be willing to work on some weekends, evenings, and holidays.
○ Must be 18 or older.
○ Must be able to work in a fast paced environment.
○ Must be able to work independently and take initiative on daily tasks.
○ Must possess a positive attitude and strong work ethic.
○ Must possess a valid driver’s license.
To apply, send a cover letter, resume, 3 references, and start month that you are applying for to email@example.com