Position Title: Zoo Show Naturalist/Trainer
World Bird Sanctuary is contracted by zoos, theme parks and aquariums around the nation to produce and present educational and entertaining bird shows. If hired you would be part of one of these teams.
Responsible for working with a collection of animals to include a wide variety of birds, and especially birds of prey. Candidate must work effectively with other show naturalists/trainers to ensure that animals are utilized safely and appropriately. You will be part of a team that provides engaging, scripted presentations to promote bird, wildlife and habitat conservation. This is a temporary position which generally starts in April and finishes in September. Some zoo shows may begin as early as February and end in November.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Engage and inspire audiences through educational and entertaining bird shows.
- Present the shows to both large and small audiences on a regular basis.
- Prepare and administer proper diets and supplements for the show collection.
- Duties will include animal husbandry, training, and enrichment for a diverse collection of birds. Ensure high standards for animal welfare and safety.
- Be an ambassador of World Bird Sanctuary and its mission.
- Ability to react to unforeseen and changing circumstances that may arise during shows.
- Preferred: Bachelor’s degree in biological sciences or related major; 2 years of experience as a wildlife presenter in lieu of bachelor’s degree.
- Experience with public presentation and animal training strongly desired.
- Excellent public speaking skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Must have a strong appreciation for wildlife and the environment.
- Must possess the ability to function in a dynamic, team-oriented environment.
- Must be able to work as part of a team and independently to achieve positive results.
- Must be able to walk or stand for extended periods of time, kneel, stoop, crawl, twist, reach above head, pull, bend, climb stairs and carry up to 25 pounds.
- Must be able and willing to actively work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Valid driver’s license required to operate World Bird Sanctuary vehicles.
- Proof of current Tetanus shot.
Locations (housing and utilities are provided at all zoo show locations):
- Milwaukee County Zoo, Milwaukee, WI
- Stone Zoo, Stoneham, MA
How to Apply:
E-mail cover letter, resume and 3 references to Jeff Meshach at email@example.com
If you need additional information please call our office at: (636) 225-4390 ext. 1008
World Bird Sanctuary is an equal-opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace. We do not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.