Our Vision for the Future
The original intentions and values that led to the creation of WBS will remain central in our future. Our mission will continue to be . . . to preserve the earth’s biological diversity and to secure the future of threatened bird species in their natural environments. The primary priority for the years ahead will be to solidify the gains of the past forty years – to ensure that WBS is a vital and leading force as it pursues its mission. Strategies will focus on ensuring financial and organizational continuity and on building its leadership in avian and habitat conservation issues.
Continuity: Management and operational continuity is essential. The energy, commitment and leadership skills of Walter Crawford should serve as a springboard for the future growth and success of WBS. The long-term commitment of a dedicated staff has been an important strength of WBS. An effective means for developing a pool of qualified upper level managers and for sustaining a high level of dedication by all employees is essential to ensure long term continuity for the organization. This will require a commitment to continuous training and appropriate compensation.
Education: World Bird Sanctuary is poised to deliver its mission to helping make people more aware of threats to the environment and how they can be solved for everyone’s benefit. Educational programs that provide close-up experiences with creatures will be the largest part of our efforts, along with expanded conservation efforts. Our educational programs will follow S.T.E.M. guidelines and meet state education standards.
Animal Care — Facilities will be upgraded to meet or exceed International Association of Avian Trainers and Educators (I.A.A.T.E.) standards for avian care. WBS is at a critical point. It has proven successful in its current home, but now has much work to do to improve the facilities that were built starting in 1998. Honest, independent reviews by multiple professionals have revealed that most of WBS facilities are inadequate for proper care of the birds. A closely related and equally important goal is to bring the avian medicine practices up to industry standards. Training techniques will be consistent with industry standards.
Partnerships — WBS will strengthen and expand partnerships with private and public organizations to improve management of habitats for preservation and enhancement. Field research will be an integral part of these efforts. Securing new partnerships with like organizations will allow our mission to grow and will strengthen our profile in the community and beyond
Public Awareness and Fundraising:We will work in creative ways to elevate the profile of WBS programs and site presentation to the public. This will directly affect our ability to market programs to more schools and organizations and take our fundraising to a higher level. Establishing planned communication strategies, building an even stronger internet presence, and continuing to drive marketing programs are all strategies to be pursued. The visitor experience at our site must be improved to properly relay our true mission and draw repeat visitors and positive reviews. WBS must build a stronger, balanced revenue and funding base. The efforts to build a larger group of individual supporters will continue along with building a broader base of support from foundations and corporations.
This vision is not an extreme departure from the present, nor it is it simply floating with the tide. It is a commitment to build on the best of what we have and who we are. It is a resolution to strengthen and solidify the organization to ensure its long-term vitality. This vision will become reality if the needed resources are obtained and the issues at hand are resolved.
What must now happen to produce our future?
Vision without action is a dream. Action without vision is simply passing the time. Action with Vision is making a positive difference.
To preserve the earth’s biological diversity and secure the future of bird species and their natural environments through the three pillars of education, conservation, and rehabilitation.
We envision a world in which World Bird Sanctuary contributes significantly to protecting and preserving the avian species of the world while inspiring others to do the same.
- Excellence: We ensure the highest standard of animal and wildlife care, provide excellent guest service and create fun and transformational experiences that connect people to nature.
- Conservation: We are committed to practicing, promoting, and initiating activities and actions that best benefit wild bird populations and the environment in which they live.
- Integrity: We are transparent and committed to best practices, acting in a manner consistent with our core values and mission. We uphold the highest standards of honesty and ethical behavior. We treat others with respect and dignity. We believe in rigorous assessment of our work and tangible measurement of our impact, and in sharing those results transparently.
- Diversity and Inclusion: We embrace diversity and promote inclusion in all we do. We believe that nature is for everyone and all individuals should have an opportunity to engage and enjoy it.
- Collaboration: We embrace teamwork and play an active and positive role in all the communities of which we are a part, including our town, the State of Missouri, and our national and worldwide partners.
- Passion: We are proud, energetic and passionate about saving birds, and will inspire others to value the critical roles of birds in the environment.
- Education: We believe that immersive experiences with animals, and programs of science and exploration based upon leading-edge educational approaches, provide powerful and influential inspiration for people to care, be inspired and empowered to act on behalf of wildlife conservation.