Would you like to join our flock? World Bird Sanctuary is looking for interns! Our internship program prepares the aspiring animal caretaker for a career in the animal world. Interns will gain valuable hands-on experience with animal husbandry and training, enclosure maintenance, records keeping, wildlife rehabilitation, and educational programming and outreach. During the 12 week long internship, our interns will have the opportunity to work in each part of the sanctuary with experienced staff, attend seminars and workshops focused on animal topics and career building, and complete an intern project of their choosing. Interns are valued members of our team, and it is our hope that they leave us with a good foundation and experience to take to their future careers. Apply now and let your spirit take wing with World Bird Sanctuary!
- Must be able to work indoors and outdoors in all weather conditions. World Bird Sanctuary is open to the public 363 days out of the year; therefore, all positions require employees and interns to work some weekends, holidays, and evenings.
- Must be able to do work such as lifting, bending, stooping, and carrying heavy objects.
- Must be comfortable learning food preparation for carnivorous animals.
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- College degree or working towards is preferred, but not required
- Personal transportation is recommended, but not required
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Positive attitude and strong work ethic
- An interest in birds!
Compensation and Hours
- Internships are unpaid
- Onsite housing is available for out of town interns
- Interns typically work 40 hours a week
- Internships are 12 weeks long
- We are happy to work with interns to receive college credit for their internship with World Bird Sanctuary
Seasonal Application Deadlines
The World Bird Sanctuary internship program is available year round.
- Fall Term (September – December): July 1
- Spring Term (January – April): November 1
- Summer Term (May-August): March 1
How to Apply
1. Fill out the online application here, include a cover letter stating your career goals and how this internship will help you achieve those goals, and 1 letter of reference to
2. The World Bird Sanctuary Internship Coordinator will review the applications.
Approved internships will be notified via email or phone. Incomplete applications will not be considered, and completion of an application does not guarantee an internship position will be offered.