About World Bird Sanctuary
World Bird Sanctuary is both a unique St. Louis attraction and entertaining environmental education opportunity. With over 305 acres and over 200 animals in our care, we offer a one-of-a-kind wildlife experience. World Bird Sanctuary’s mission is to preserve, protect and inspire to safeguard bird species as part of the global community for future generations. Our vision is to create a world where diverse bird species are secure and thriving in a variety of stable ecological communities. We work to fulfill this mission through our six core competencies of sanctuary services, education, rehabilitation, propagation, research/field studies and advocacy efforts.
World Bird Sanctuary operates under the leadership team of three senior directors, Dawn Griffard, Roger Holloway and Jeff Meshach, along with a dedicated staff, volunteers, interns and an active Board of Directors. The leadership team directs daily operations of the sanctuary, but is responsible to the Board of Directors in all matters, ensuring that WBS is above reproach in this field. The sanctuary employs a full time staff of 19 and hires approximately 16 part time employees each year.
World Bird Sanctuary is one of North America’s largest facilities for the conservation of birds. World Bird Sanctuary is on the leading edge of public awareness regarding the plight of bird species worldwide.
To preserve the earth’s biological diversity and secure the future of bird species and their natural environments through the three pillars of education, conservation, and rehabilitation.
We envision a world in which World Bird Sanctuary contributes significantly to protecting and preserving the avian species of the world while inspiring others to do the same.
- Excellence: We ensure the highest standard of animal and wildlife care, provide excellent guest service and create fun and transformational experiences that connect people to nature.
- Conservation: We are committed to practicing, promoting, and initiating activities and actions that best benefit wild bird populations and the environment in which they live.
- Integrity: We are transparent and committed to best practices, acting in a manner consistent with our core values and mission. We uphold the highest standards of honesty and ethical behavior. We treat others with respect and dignity. We believe in rigorous assessment of our work and tangible measurement of our impact, and in sharing those results transparently.
- Diversity and Inclusion: We embrace diversity and promote inclusion in all we do. We believe that nature is for everyone and all individuals should have an opportunity to engage and enjoy it.
- Collaboration: We embrace teamwork and play an active and positive role in all the communities of which we are a part, including our town, the State of Missouri, and our national and worldwide partners.
- Passion: We are proud, energetic and passionate about saving birds, and will inspire others to value the critical roles of birds in the environment.
- Education: We believe that immersive experiences with animals, and programs of science and exploration based upon leading-edge educational approaches, provide powerful and influential inspiration for people to care, be inspired and empowered to act on behalf of wildlife conservation.
The World Bird Sanctuary is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that provides refuge to over 270 residents and rehabilitation and emergency care for up to 400 patients every year. We receive no state, federal or county funding and rely on donations from the public, corporate and foundation supporters to achieve our mission.
Commitment to Online Security
Physical, electronic and managerial procedures have been employed to safeguard the security and integrity of personal information. Billing information is encrypted whenever transmitted or received online. Personal information is accessible only by staff and volunteers designated to handle online complaints or requests. All WBS agents and contractors with access to personal information obtained on the WBS web site are also bound to adhere to this policy.
Personal Information that WBS May Collect Online
WBS collects the following types of personal information: names, postal and e-mail addresses, phone and facsimile numbers, billing information, and complaint information.
WBS may also collect business information from sole proprietorships that apply for membership or program participation, some of which might constitute personal information, as well as personal information from individuals acting solely in their business capacity.
How WBS May Use Personal Information Collected Online
WBS will not use your personal information other than for the purpose for which it was submitted without your consent. We use personal information to reply to inquiries, handle complaints, provide operational notices, and in program recordkeeping. We also process business and billing requests related to program participation. At certain points where personal information is collected on our site, there may be a box where you may indicate you would like to be on a list to receive information about other WBS programs and services and about ways to support WBS. At any time you can add or remove your name from our mailing list by contacting us at email@example.com
How Your Information May Be Shared
WBS never sells or rents personal information.
We will release personal information to appropriate governmental authorities under the following circumstances:
- Where release is required by law (for example, a subpoena) or regulation, or is requested by a government agency conducting investigations or proceedings;
- Where our records indicate a company may be engaged in fraudulent activity or other deceptive practices that a governmental agency should be made aware of; or
- Where your communication suggests possible harm to others.
Help Us Keep Your Personal Information Accurate
If your personal information changes or you would like to review the personal information we may have on file, please email us with the new information or your review request at firstname.lastname@example.org. Let us also know the department or WBS program that led to your submission of personal information so we may efficiently locate your information.
Computer Tracking and Cookies
Our web site is not set up to track, collect or distribute personal information not entered by its visitors. Our site logs do generate certain kinds of non-identifying site usage data, such as the number of hits and visits to our site. This information is used for internal purposes by technical support staff to provide better services to the public and may also be provided to others, but again, the statistics contain no personal information and cannot be used to gather such information.
A cookie is a small amount of data that is sent to your browser from a Web server and stored on your computer’s hard drive. WBS uses non-identifying cookies to provide easier site navigation and access to forms. You can still use the WBS site if your browser is set to reject cookies. Our cookies do not generate personal data, do not read personal data from your machine and are never tied to anything that could be used to identify you.